Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What comes my way....



When I left Nebraska and moved to Oregon, I told myself that I was going to wait a year, I wanted to give myself 12 months, before getting too involved. I envisioned taking my time to sightsee, get familiar with the local area, and to make sure my kids and spouse were settled enough to manage at home without me here full time.

But a great opportunity popped up. I did not go looking for it, but I am glad it found its way to me.

Three weeks ago I interviewed for an AmeriCorp Vista Volunteer position with our local Habitat for Humanity. Even though I don't officially begin until next Wednesday I went to my first meeting last night. My first impression is that I am really going to enjoy working with these people for the next 12 months.

Our main goal between now and June 30, 2007 is to fundraise for and build a new two bedroom home for a single mother. I learned a lot about grants, fundraising, permits, deadlines, and construction delays in the Northwest rainy season from one short meeting.


Part of me will miss the lazy mornings around the house, the slow paced afternoons of searching for recipes and what to make for dinner, and the free evenings at home. But there is a bigger part of me that could get crazy with the lazy, slow paced, free time ALL the time.

This feels right. This challenges and excites me. This is something I would do for free (which is a good thing since the stipend is small). And... this is only for a year. This time next year I get to look be lazy, slow paced and free again until something else comes my way.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Congrats Again Julie! Have fun with it!
love
jack

Jack said...

Julie,
I can't figure out this damn comment box, hope i haven't commented 87 times!
Congrats again, have fun with it!
love
jack

Anonymous said...

I'll be excited to hear how this goes. I'm so impressed with Habitat, what a great opportunity! Keep us posted - and happy building!
pat