Each new day begins with a sunrise. Some days I am lucky enough to see the beginnings of the new day and all the vibrant colors as they permeate the sky. Some days I don't. Whether I get to witness the sun rising or not I know that a new day awaits.
Our household wakes and greets one another with the usual words,'good morning'. Most often those two words are uttered, mumbled, or grunted. But sometimes they are proclaimed cheerfully.
The same two words are shared at work as people arrive and settle in at their desks. 'Good Morning' can sometimes be heard clearly and with energy. Sometimes it is barely audible and filled with fatigue.
It interesting for me to guess how someone's night went by how they express their 'good morning'.
I suppose when I wish someone 'good morning', I am wishing people a good start to their day. I don't think to tell them 'good afternoon' or 'good evening' as the days wears on. I just assume the 'good morning' applies to the whole day from start to finish.
The start of a new day is like my chance for me to start over. It is my chance to do this day better than I did the previous day. It is my chance to not make as many mistakes, or at least to learn from the ones I made yesterday. It is my chance to listen better, to parent better, to be a better partner for my husband.
But most of all when I get up in the morning in time to see the sunrise in all its glory I am reminded to tell God 'good morning'. I am reminded to talk to God more in the afternoon, to listen to God more in the evening, and to pray from start to finish.
Sunsets .... I'll save for another time.

No comments:
Post a Comment