Thursday, December 06, 2007

Something Sacred...

Something Sacred is at stake in every moment.

I've been reflecting about this lately.

I am reading a book by Ken Gire called Seeing What is Sacred: Becoming More Spiritually Sensitive to the Everyday Moments of Life.

If anyone is reading my blog I imagine you are thinking the title alone sounds 'flaky' and would be enough to make you run away.

But, not me.
I was drawn to the book.
I think I was drawn to it primarily because of the title.
I was also drawn to it because I don't think I do this very well; notice the sacred.

(It helps that I have read other books by Ken and liked them.)

I don't take the time to find God in the everyday moments of life, yet I know God is always there.
I want to notice more.

I made time to just lay on the couch with Laura tonight. As she gets taller and we both get bigger I realize these opportunities are limited. I also made time for myself tonight. Music only I like, and lots of hot water and bubbles.

It seems to me that much of what is sacred gets hidden in the ordinary day to day activities in our lives. For me to take notice, for me to see something of the sacred, I need to slow down, reflect more, notice more.

I learned that the word reflect comes from two Latin words: re, meaning 'back' and flectere, meaning 'to bend'. To reflect then is to bend back something. I guess much like a mirror bends back an image of ourselves.

Learning to be more reflective isn't easy for me.
It takes time.
It takes quiet.

It takes quiet time alone for me to be reflective and there isn't much of that in our household.

But I am making a concentrated effort to at least take notice, to watch for the ordinary, everyday moments where I know something Sacred is at stake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, Sounds like a great read, thanks.
A book that Pat and I really like is called "Everything Belongs" by Richard Rohr.....
Happy Advent!
Love
jack

Jeff Brown said...

Good blog... nice toes, BTW!