
This Fall has been an incredible journey of political discovery in our house.
I have witnessed and encouraged our kids to be informed, to listen, to be aware, and to take part in our community, and our country.
One of my most memorable nights was the first debate between Senators McCain and Obama and many of Alex's friends gathered to watch the Brown's watch.
We paused the program to discuss and to teach, to explain and to analyze.
This election process has grown in interest and focus for all of us as well as for the friends of our kids.
Two nights ago, I sat down with my mail-in ballot and voter's guide (Oregon does the election process right) and let Alex walk us through voting.
Essentially, I let him vote through me, guiding him when needed, but I was excited to see how informed he had become.
Last night I got home from work a little before 5 and found Alex camped out on the couch with the election results on the television and a laptop next to him doing his own analysis and update.
As the polls closed here on the West coast, there was much excitement and enthusiasm, and yes, even some tears as we all watched history take place.
Both McCain and Obama gave very moving speeches leaving us with great hope for the future.
We know it won't be easy and we have told the kids, it isn't over with the election.
The hard work is ahead of us.
I learned today of three more people that were laid off.
I know others who are in jeopardy of losing their homes.
Our renters can't make rent.
The economic crisis goes on and on....
But we as citizens can unite.
We have the ability to come together.
We know how to work hard.
We can make a difference and have an impact on the politicians that represent us.
And most of all I believe we are a compassionate nation that will care for our neighbors here and our neighbors abroad and move this country forward.
Today is a good day, a hope filled day!

No comments:
Post a Comment