Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Times they are a changin'!

Today our country had a Presidential inauguration.
It is undoubtedly an amazing time in our history.

I am pleased that the local schools aired the Inauguration Ceremonies and our children were able to watch this historic event.

I am excited to be witness to this time in our history.
I have encouraged our kids to pay attention to this.
I know someday their children will be asking them what they remember about this historic event.

I don't think of myself as being old enough to be a 'bearer of history'.
But as part of Alex's homework assignment, he was asked to find someone who remembered the Kennedy assassination.

Well, I remember the Kennedy's assassination.
Or I should say, I remember the Kennedy funeral.
So I guess I am getting old, or at least I am old enough to help with current high school History assignments
Granted, I was 3 years old, but I remember.
It was a significant time in my / our history much like today.

I remember my dad being home from work in the middle of the day.
The TV was left on all day which was unusual for the time.
My older sister was on the couch with my mom.
My dad was laying on his right side on the floor in front of the TV propping his head up on his right hand.
I sat crossed legged in front of him leaning back against his stomach.
We were all focused on the TV and it wasn't to watch cartoons.
(My dad loved to watch cartoons with us.)

All of a sudden my dad tapped me on my left shoulder saying,
"Julie! Pay attention to this!
Someday your kids are going to ask you about this day."

I thought to myself, "I will have kids someday?"

Now I understand what my dad meant.
It has come full circle. His firm tap on my shoulder did the job.
I remembered.

I hope I have 'tapped' sufficiently on the shoulders of my own children today.
Our children should remember this inauguration they are considerably older than I was for the Kennedy assassination.
For that, I am grateful.

Quite honestly, a number of my 8 children didn't need 'tapping'. They get it!
They understand the significance of this inauguration.

Today I feel honored;
honored to be an American,
honored to be a parent,
and so proud of my kids.

No comments: