Sunday, December 10, 2006

Oh Christmas Tree



Growing up I have vague memories of having a 'real' Christmas tree. Most of my life, from 4th grade and every year since, I have always had a 'fake' Christmas tree.
I am not sure why my parents decided to change from 'real' to 'fake' but as kids we didn't care.
A 'fake' tree meant we could put the tree up earlier in Advent and leave the lights on longer without worry or concern for the tree drying out and catching fire. As a child my main worry was if the tree caught fire then so would the presents underneath.

In my mind 'fake' was just fine.

When I got married and our family began our own traditions we went with the 'fake' tree as well because of allergic concerns for my husband.

So for the past 36 or so years it has been 'fake' all the way.

Until this year!

For the first time in our family tradition and my first time in nearly 4 decades we have a REAL Christmas tree in the house.

Since we have moved to Oregon, the Chritmas tree capital of the world (or at least it seems to be), it would be a shame to not get a 'real' tree this year. We talked about going out and cutting down our own tree. We learned all the important details such as, the appropriate tools to take to the Christmas tree farm, how to 'carry' your tree out of the field and not 'drag' it out so it doesn't get muddy, and even how to shake your tree out to free it from critters such as spiders, bugs and even bats.

Learning all this didn't scare me off from cutting my own tree, but I was happy to learn that my husband was content to purchase a tree from the young family down at the corner lot.

It isn't that I wasn't in the Christmas spirit. Nor was it that I didn't want to create great new family memories. It is just that I know my family.

I think cutting down our own tree appealed to my husband because it had a wonderful Norman Rockwell feel to it. This Rockwell vision of acquiring a Christmas tree was the experience my husband was hoping we could have as a family. I envisioned more of a Griswalds Christmas experience.

If you haven't seen Chevy Chase and the Griswald family then you won't understand. But if you know my husband and kids you are most likely laughing already.

Perhaps next year we will be up to the challenge of cutting our own tree and hauling it home, but for this year we are all very happy to have our first ever 'real' live tree!

No comments: