Tuesday, February 06, 2007

February Flowers




It is February here in Oregon. Actually it is February everywhere. But it feels like I am experiencing February in a different way than most everyone else I know. I suppose because it is my first February here and most people I know live in Nebraska or Kansas.


The past six months or so I seem to approach most everything in my life from a place of explanation. I explain to people I am new and need directions, I explain to new people about my eight kids (see previous blog), I explain to people about my accent (which I didn't know I had), and I explain to native Oregonians what winter weather really is.

But I am getting off track.... I wanted to talk about flowers....

It is February here and there are flowers everywhere. The grocery stores, the garden centers, the hardware stores, even the gas station has flowers to sell. I was walking along the storefront shops downtown and found a cart of flowers for sale.

Pansies seem to be the flower to plant in February and they can be found everywhere.

This is vastly different than life in Nebraska or Kansas at this time of the year.

Back home you would be challenged to get through the snow to even consider planting right now. And no one would plant flowers this time of year.
Potatos perhaps, but not pansies.

So life here is different. But this is a difference that I embrace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha I told you you have a drawl!!! and Pansies